Veronica is responsible for building an innovative organisation and driving Safaricom’s innovation agenda through collaboration with the developer community, start-ups, corporates, government and universities.
Safaricom engages Innovators through various platforms under her docket, these include:
- Zindua Café – an idea submission portal for external innovators who would like to engage Safaricom on Innovation. Accessible via www.safaricom.co.ke/zindua
- AppWiz – an annual challenge whose focus is to build and nurture startups through a 3 month incubation with a robust entrepreneurship and mobile application development programme.
- AppStar Challenge – an annual challenge launched in partnership with Vodafone that supports developers in participating emerging markets by allowing them to showcase their talent in app development on a global platform, after which they upload their apps in the Safaricom appStore and monetizing them across participating Vodafone countries.
- Safaricom Academy – which offers a two year Master’s degree course in Mobile Telecommunications and Innovation (TID) in partnership with Strathmore University and has been designed to bridge the skills gap in innovation, mobile application development leadership and entrepreneurship in the ICT sector.
- Safaricom Spark Fund – a $1million venture fund that supports the successful development and growth of high potential mobile tech start-ups at late seed to early growth stage in Kenya. Support is through a combination of investment, business development support and technical assistance leveraging on Safaricom’s unique capabilities, assets and market positioning.
Veronica has over 13 years of experience in telecommunications with a background in innovation, product development, project management, marketing and IT.
She has held Senior Manager – Group Products and Innovation roles in various organisations including Bharti Airtel, Zain Group and Celtel International where her responsibility spanned at any time between 17-24 markets, both in Africa and in the Middle East. She holds a Diploma in IT (IMIS, formerly IDPM), a B.Sc. Information Sciences (IT) from Moi University and an MBA from the University of Nairobi.
Veronica is married with 4 children and has a passion for helping the youth achieve their full potential by empowering them in business and technology.